Thursday, May 7, 2015

Listen to that still, small voice

A 504 Plan is not a document looking for favoritism or a hand-out. It's not a plan to bail on required assignments. It's not a green light to be irresponsible. What it is, is a service agreement to accommodate for some special needs. These services are to aid the student in helping them become successful. How do we define successful? I guess each home has a different definition. In our home, it is a 70% or better.

ELEVEN YEARS. Amanda was diagnosed with ADD eleven years ago. She has difficulty focusing and retaining information. She has difficulty maintaining organization as well.

I can relate. I have ADD also.

Of course when you are struggling through school in the 80's, there isn't an explanation. It's "you're not paying attention", "Daydreamer"  Or "you're lazy". I think that ADD kids hear that so much that they start believing they are lazy.

In the early 90's, I entered the corporate world. I struggled because I had no computer experience, no medical background and no insurance experience. The trainer told me the one time "You don't pay attention. You don't ask questions!" I was so mad. I had so much information going through my head that it was hard to focus on the current material. I couldn't even ask a question because how do you ask a question about something that you can't even understand!?

I worked hard. And several years later, I found my self accepting a position as a trainer.

I soon discovered that training and teaching is the same thing. I also recognized that not everyone learned the same way. I asked the new hires to tell me what HMO stood for. On the next page, I asked the new hires to tell me the acronym for Health Maintenance Organization. It seemed so obvious but people got these questions incorrect.

We don't all learn the same way.

I am teaching Daniel about The Pythagorean Theorem (a squared plus b squared equals c squared).

I read the text. I look at the problem. I look at the answer in the back of the book and then I work from there. I teach it to myself first working from the answer to get the problem, in a sense. It's hard. But what satisfaction I have when I don't check the back of the book and I figured it out!

I don't think math is hard. I think maybe it's how it is taught. Specifically who is teaching it to you.

I understand ADD. I know if you have it also after a few conversations. I recognize it because I live it. All four of us live it.

So when I work hard to get my kids on track and the home access system reflects all work is up to date, I am pleased. I didn't say the grades were good. But all work is completed. NO ZEROS is the rule!

However, if I am blind-sided and at the final hour new assignments and ZEROS are entered, I AM LIVID! I need to know the assignments are missing and then I can get on the kid's back until they are completed. The consequence for ZEROS or basically a class grade under 70% is NO PHONE!

That is what motivates both of them. So that's what I am rolling with.

Yesterday, I was angry for two hours and then crying for two hours. These darn hormones! I am on the verge of tears all the time. It's going to be a long ten plus years I believe.

After praying and knowing that if everything worked out perfectly every minute of the day, then we wouldn't have the need to call on Jesus, I decide that I need to read.

I need you. Lord, I need you. Every hour I need you. My one defense. My righteousness. Oh God how I need you!

How many times have you heard me cry out God please take this?! I love Plumb.

Singing hymns while in prison. What else can we do?!

Oh, read my Bible or a devo. I chose a devo from my "365 Moments of Peace for a Woman's Heart:


"The Good Life" Good people can look forward to a bright future. Proverbs 13:9 

What makes for a good life? Laughter and happy times come to mind. You might also be thinking of those times you did the right thing without worrying about what the future would bring. In those positive moments, God steps in with words of comfort and assurance. He praises us for following his commandments and gives us the strength to keep on going. Then  he adds a promise. He tells us to look forward to tomorrow with hope and expectation. He says we can get excited about the future. Rest in the peace of knowing you're doing the right thing. And smile, because the best is yet to come.

I know the thoughts that I think toward  you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

God in heaven: When things look hopeless to me, help me look to you for my hope. In you alone I put my trust. Amen.

JEREMIAH 29:11

Amanda's life verse. What are the odds that on May 6th, that would be the verse? Coincidence you are thinking? How many verses are in the Bible? I don't know BUT...

There are 929 chapters in the Old Testament and 260 chapters in the New Testament. This gives a total of 1,189 chapters (on average, 18 per book).

I would say that the odds are pretty slim. That verse is an answer to prayer from my personal Savior.

And again I am encouraged because God's got this. I don't have to worry for her. He has a future planned for her. One that is better than I could ever imagine. When God is for me who can be against me?

Today is a new day. I am still rocked by hormones but I am not alone. Listen, neither are you!


No comments:

Post a Comment