Thursday, October 23, 2014

Growing Up

Amanda and I try to do a quick devotion before she runs out the door each morning. She gets up at 4:45 am and leaves at 6:30 am. Ideally, I would like her to be in the kitchen at 6 am for breakfast and devotions. Sometimes it's more like 6:15. The girl is ALWAYS LATE. She was born three weeks early and has NEVER been early since. Her famous line is "Hold On". It will be time to go somewhere, we open the front door and she says, Hold On! Then disappears upstairs for a hairbrush, lippy or some something.

Anyway...we either read from Jesus Today by Sarah Young or The Duck Commander Devo. Today this is what we read from Sarah Young:

        My place is a soft, soothing pillow for your weary head. Pry your mind away from plans and problems so you can rest in My healing Presence. Whisper, "I trust You, Jesus," while you relax - body, mind, and soul - in My protective Presence. If anxious thoughts try to intrude, give them over to Me with thanksgiving. Be grateful that I understand everything about you and your circumstances; also, I love you eternally and take care of you continually. Instead of pondering your problems, let these precious truths renew your mind. They will set you free.
         As you refresh yourself in My peaceful Presence - trusting and thanking Me - I go to work on your behalf. While  you stay in communication with Me, I show you the way forward. I may open up a way that previously seemed blocked, or I may take you along a new path altogether.
 
After I finished reading the bolded words, Amanda said Uh Oh! Amanda tried out for her first musical on Tuesday. This morning call-backs were being posted. Amanda was nervous. I was confident.
 
         Remember that you are never alone in your struggles. You have a Helper who is infinitely powerful, tenderly loving, and wise beyond all understanding. So rejoice!


Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-7


At 8:15 I received this text:

No callback be home at normal time

I had tears in my eyes. By 8:40 I was bawling. I had Proverbs 3:4-5 going through my mind over and over:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths".


However, I didn't feel any better. I text a few of my girls. You know those girls. The ones that always know just what to say when you need to hear the right words.

Amanda didn't get a callback for the musical which means she didn't get a leading part. I am destroyed!


The wisdom from my one friend was absolutely perfect:


"People will forget what part  you played in the musical, but NOT the part you played in their life."


Awww yes. He knows our name and this is all His stage. Do you know that song? Amanda and I listen to it if she makes it down stairs by 6 am. Then we have worship AND devotions.

Love THIS song so much!

My other sweet sister asked me why I was destroyed. I explained that I was once again on the edge of my pit called Disappointment. It took my heart about twenty minutes to catch up with my brain and seriously process what was going on in my heart. Our negative emotions can be traced back to something. Once I soften, I confessed that the disappointment really was rooted in pride. I felt that she deserved something that was not necessarily God's thought.

Once I confessed my pride, I was able to really believe the scripture, Proverbs 3:5-6, and know that God has something else in mind for Amanda.

When Amanda got home at 2:45 pm, I asked her how she was. She said fine. She understood that her singing was right on but she doesn't have the acting experience needed. I asked her if she was upset and she said no, why? I told her I cried. She said "awww". Ha ha.

I do a lot of things wrong. I react in an explosive manner often but today, I recognized that for me to call myself a mature Christian I needed to act like that and give it to God.

Let me close with the words from another current favorite, Jeremy Camp, He Knows.

HE KNOWS, HE KNOWS
EVERY HURT AND EVERY STING
HE HAS WALKED THE SUFFERING
HE KNOWS, HE KNOWS
LET YOUR BURDENS COME UNDONE
LIFT YOUR EYES UP TO THE ONE
WHO KNOWS
HE KNOWS

 



No comments:

Post a Comment