Thursday, July 17, 2014

Being a Mom is Tough

I am starting an on-line Bible study through Proverbs 31 Ministries. Already I am feeling overwhelmed because we have homework and I don't even have the book yet!

Add to my things to do list (which doesn't really exist) I have to blog with the topic of "Being a mom is tough".

Amanda Grace is 16. How did that happen!? Daniel will be 12 in 3 weeks. And the little boy I watch will be 2, yes 2, in two weeks!!!

I will first talk about the little man, Robert. I have been his Nanny since he was 8 weeks old. I have him from 8:15 am to 4 pm, five days a week. It's been like starting all over, a change of life baby. Except I didn't get the sleepless nights until just recently when we got a dog.

I am 46 years old and trying to keep up with an almost 2 year old has been a challenge over the last month. He has gotten so busy all of a sudden.

I look at him every day and think about all of the things I have done wrong with my two children. I try not to think about it too long because the enemy will lay the guilt on pretty thick.

I use to think that having a toddler was SO HARD. But to be honest, each stage is hard. When they are little, it takes a lot of patience and physical energy. When they are pre-teens, it takes a lot of patience and a lot of patience.

I have recently said that I am not sure how any of us make it out of the "middle school" years (about age 10 to 14 or so). And then I add 'some species kill their young'. (Kindness doesn't come easy for me. Honesty, well that's another story. I will tell you like it is).

When they hit 15, your bedtime suddenly moves from 10 pm to...LATE. Amanda's activities run late and she always needs a ride somewhere.

So when you have a teenager you need patience and...

Sleep? No that's over rated. I am happy with six hours on a good night.

Naps? Well that only works if you watch a soon to be 2 year old.

Less sleep? Do you see where I am going with this?

If you have a little one, rest up because one day you won't be sleeping much. Oh  yes, I guess you can compare it to having a newborn.

With each stage there are things that I have loved and things that I have...not loved. I always thought "this is so tough". Then we moved on to something else and I would look back and say "what was I complaining about?"

Little children, little issues. Bigger children, bigger issues.

I could ramble on for hours about our struggles with teachers, homework, AD/HD, bullying, etc but it really comes down to one thing...

BEING A MOM IS TOUGH.

But it is my greatest accomplishment. It's really the only thing I ever wanted to be. Young people have such pressure when they hit high school. What do you want to be when you grow up? I never wanted to be anything but a mom. I went to college and got a teaching degree in Art. But I never had any desire to do that. I worked in the insurance business for seven years. But my heart was always at home. The only thing I ever really wanted to be was a Mom.

I LOVE begin a mom. But...


BEING A MOM IS TOUGH

September 2013 (I need a better picture).

6 comments:

  1. You are so right - it doesn't get easier as our kids get older. Sometimes I hear people talking about how wonderful their kids turned out - as if they are now "done" with their job. We will never be done as long as we and our kids are both on this earth! And for some of us who are not proud of our parenting when they were young that is a good thing. I am learning that the time I spend with my children as adults is God's gift of giving me a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach it, girlfriend!
    Oh, and I CAN"T IMAGINE starting over now! All these moms of little ones and I'm just so thankful that my youngest is 11!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Thanks for sharing!!!
    Lauren, P31 OBS blog hop team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. All so true. I am much older and retired and keep my grandson who is 11 months and our daughter is expecting and I will keep hers. I run my legs off. And yes I found when they were teenagers I never went to sleep until they pulled in the driveway. Debbie W. Proverbs31Ministries OBS Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your bog. I agree on runnung after a toddler. I am much older and keep my 11 mo old grandson and I remember laying awake when minecwere teenagers waiting for them to pull in the driveway. Thanks for sharing. Debbie W. Proverbs 31 Ministries OBS Team

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed your blog - so true about the worry and running your legs off. I keep my 11 month old grandson and love when he takes a nap and my daughter is expecting so come January I'll have a newborn too during the day. The worry never leaves. I used to lay in bed awake until the teenagers drove up. Today I worry about them being at the lake and my daughter pregnant. We all need sleep. Debbie W. (Proverbs 31 Ministries OBS Team)

    ReplyDelete