Saturday, June 21, 2014

Seven Days Without Sugar!

So I have been doing this "FED UP" challenge that I saw on Facebook. What it basically is, is meat, fruits and veggies. I have been eating certain packaged food items as long as they did not have sugar in the ingredients. Sugar is usually listed in the first five ingredients. High Fructose Corn Syrup is sugar. Splenda, Aspartame, Equal, Stevia, etc (fake sugar) is not giving up sugar. "Diet" sugars are worse for  you than the real thing!

The first two days were very hard. I had a raging headache for the full two days. I was also exhausted. I mean totally exhausted as in "the moment Robert is asleep I am on the couch horizontal" exhausted!

But by Day Three I was good to go.

I have not had any sweet craving in the last seven days. Everyone ate ice-cream last night. I did not. I did not feel deprived either.

Actually, that was a lie about not wanting something sweet. Today I was at a birthday party and I WANTED a piece of cake. But I had grapes, strawberries, cantaloupe and watermelon. The craving passed.

I said to Curtis today, I don't think the U.S. wants us to be healthy. It would lose too much money.

My eyes have been opened. I really feel lied to by Paul Newman. All his "natural" stuff has added sugar. Why would you add sugar to salsa? When you make salsa do you add sugar? I don't. And don't get me started on Snack Wells.

So are you wondering what I have been eating for the last four days since I haven't posted pictures? (My memory card for the camera I was using is not compatible with my computer).

Breakfast:
HB egg and half an apple OR a smoothie

Smoothie Recipe
1/2 cup PLAIN Greek yogurt (3 grams of sugar)
1/2 cup 1% milk (6 grams of sugar)
1 tsp. Smucker's Natural PB (serving size is 2 TB which has 1 gram of sugar in it)
1 banana

The American Heart Association recommends that we have between 6 and 9 grams of sugar a day. THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS!


There are 35 grams of sugar in a 12 oz. Coke.
There are 36 grams of sugar in a Milky Way bar.
There are 35 grams of sugar in unsweetened grape juice.

There are 43 grams of sugar in 1/2 of raisins (but it's not added sugar.) It's still ridiculous however. I will not be eating raisins.

There are 9 grams of sugar in a banana.

What's my point? There is natural sugar in some foods. Why are we adding sugar to stuff? Don't we get enough already but just eating fruit?

This is not a fad diet I am on. This is awareness. This is me taking control of what I put in my mouth. I have lost 4 pounds in the first part of the week. I feel like I may have lost those 4 pounds around my middle. I call it my Special K inch (you know, the pinch an inch test). I am not over-weight. I never have been so this is not about weight. This is about my health. I am forty-six and I feel like I am in the best health of my life time. I want to prevent diabetes (which runs on my mom's side). It's about Prevention!

Lunch
Rice, beans (black, kidney, white), salsa, spinach, cheese, sour cream

That's pretty much my standard. I am sure I have eaten other things but without the photos, I don't remember (hence the title "photo journal").

Dinner
Steak sandwich OR Pork Chops OR Pasta

I serve vegetables and fruit (and brown rice) at dinner every night.

My snacks are usually fruit. I HAVE NO CRAVINGS FOR COFFEE OR DESSERT. It really is unreal. Did I say that already?

Hello My Name is Theresa and I am a Sugar-holic. It's an ugly addiction that not even Curtis knew about. I was telling him last week how bad it has become and he said "I didn't know that". We hide those ugly parts of us that we don't want anyone to see.

This may sound like a daunting challenge to you. But just try it. I had no time to prepare for it. I read the challenge notes on Sunday morning when I decided to do this. So I could use that as an excuse. We can always find an excuse can't we?

Seriously, try it. You have nothing to lose (except weight) and everything to gain (better health). The way I see it, the only thing standing between the old habits and the new is you!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment