Sunday, May 25, 2014

NORA!

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11


I think I have only mentioned Nora once here briefly. Nora is the daughter of Curtis' childhood friend, Tim (and his amazing wife, Candy). Over the last fourteen years, we have lost contact with each other. We would occasionally receive a Christmas card but life just gets in the way.

On March 23rd, their lives changed forever, which in turn changed mine. I have faithfully kept up with her progress through her Caring Bridge site. I have prayed more in the last two months than I have in my entire life time. I have seen first hand the healing hand of God. His mercy has been showered on this dear family. My God is might to save.

There are over sixty journal entries. I have decided to only show you the beginning and the middle. Why not the end? Well, because God is not done with her yet!

If you would like to read the journal in its entirety, here is the link:

Nora's Journal


Written by her mom, Candy.

March 23, 2014

Nora was skiing this afternoon and had a bad accident. She is in a hospital in Vermont right now. She is in a coma but is in very good hands here at Fletcher Allen Hospital.

Nora is fighting. She really got banged up pretty bad. If you don't want the details, you might want to stop reading. For those who want to know what's going on, I'll tell you. Right now she is getting a procedure done to look into the blood vessels in her brain. They don't know clearly what is going on with the bloodflow from the MRI. The doctors here are super. I really feel like she is in the best care. She is on a ventilator and is heavily sedated. They tell us they think she knows we came in the room this morning because her blood pressure went up a little. What else? They have a monitor in her brain to keep an eye on pressure, etc. She has yucky lungs, I guess from vomiting when unconscious. They are draining that. She broke her left humerus up high by her shoulder. She broke her right collar bone. There is a fracture at the base of her skull and they are concerned about her carotid artery.


On April 29th, Nora was flown from Vermont to Philadelphia (CHOP).



May 22, 2014

They moved Nora's discharge date up! The original plan was to be discharged from inpatient therapy on June 5. They told us today that she will be discharged May 30.

Eight more days. We're coming home




I don't remember when it was but I stopped by a church that has a bookstore/gift shop in it. I bought a few little things and then I asked if I could leave a prayer request for someone. I wrote out a quick account of the skiing accident and was on my way. On Saturday, I stopped in again to pick up a few little things to take to our visit. The woman asked if they were graduation presents. I said "no, we are going to visit a friend who was in a skiing accident." She said she remembered me from the first time and said they have been praying for Nora. She said it's so nice to hear the end of the story. I said "it's not over yet!". She said it's nice to hear the "middle" of the story. A lot of times people ask for prayer but never follow up with the outcome.

I have started to keep a second journal with just prayers so I can go back and see how God has answered them. It took God TWELVE years to answer one of my prayers. God's timing is always perfect. We need to just be patient.

Today, this was my journal entry:

I lay in bed this morning, reflecting, I thought how I would go to bed with Nora on my mind. I would wake in the middle of the night and pray for her. I would wake in the morning and there she was, my first thought. I prayed throughout the day. As I drew closer to the Lord, He drew closer to me. But I confess that my prayers have been lacking lately. I guess you could say since Nora stepped out of those woods. Funny how we all come to God in the storm and rain, even the ones who don't know Him pray. But when the sun is shining, we/I seem to take the Son for granted. My prayer this morning is that God continues to reveal His mighty saving power to your family and that He doesn't make my life so good that I forget about Him and what He has done for me. She is the result of everything that is good in God. You have walked through the valley of the shadow of death and come out on the other side. May we all not forget who delivered you. Amen!

You can pray for me. I have been struggling with kindness again (especially with that smallish boy, who is almost as tall as I am). Pray that I am reminded every hour that I NEED the Lord.


Nora has a long way to go (well maybe not as long as we think). Keep praying for her. God is faithful. Here are a few things that you can be praying specifically for.


May 25, 2014

She can't hear a lick out of her left ear (until she gets surgery down the road), but the steroid drops in her right ear are magical. Nora can hear out of that ear. I mean she can now even hear Dr. Bryant, the rehab doc who is physically incapable of speaking up. Think Seinfeld. Now that Nora has been doing rewetting drops in her eyes every two hours for a week or so, she says she can see better out of her left eye. Her right eye lid is still closed. The sensation in Nora's face is sketchy. She can feel the left side of her face, but the right side is numb in places. Nora's mouth has been very dry, and she's been getting nosebleeds daily.




This song is the one that comes to mind when I think about Nora. God is good all the time. All the time. God is good!


Isn't she just beautiful?!

No comments:

Post a Comment