Saturday, October 26, 2013

Breakthrough


Breakthrough

\ˈbrāk-ˌthrü\
: a sudden increase in knowledge, understanding, etc. : an important discovery that happens after trying for a long time to understand or explain something
: a person's first important success



Today marks One Week of working out (minus Monday). I woke this morning and looked at the clock. It was 4:20 am. I guess that is my new body clock. I heard Curtis, who was already up, and got into my yoga pants. We were at the gym just before 5 am. There were four people there.

For the last six days, I went to the gym at 5 am, for twenty minutes. I was on the elliptical for 10 minutes burning 80 calories (level 7). I was on the bike for 10 minutes burning 40 calories (level 6 or 7). But today, we bumped it up.

I was on the stair climber for 10 minutes burning 85 calories. I refer to that as The Hell Machine. It was 100 times worse than the elliptical. I wanted to scream. I wanted to jump off. I closed my eyes and said "Dear God, Help Me!" I thought I would pray through it. But then I couldn't. All I could focus on was the POUNDING of my heart. It was going to thump right out of my chest!

After 10 minutes I got off and stood there for a moment or two. Curtis asked, "You're doing, 10, 10, 10?" Breathless, I said yes.

Getting on the elliptical after that was CAKE. (Oh cake how I love you so).

I burned 80 calories and then met up with Curtis on the bikes. I burned 48 calories.

I left feeling great. Today was actually the first day I broke a sweat.

Recap:
Elliptical - 79 calories
Bike - 48 calories
Stair Climber - 85

That's a total of 212 calories. Need a visual for what that looks like? A Hershey Bar. I burned off a Hershey Bar. (I didn't have a Hershey Bar to burn off however. I have been eating well.)

This week I did well with watching and counting calories. I would write things down during the day as I was feeding the baby. I love lunch time. He is such a good eater. It makes it easy for me to eat well too. One day, he had tomatoes, peas, mandarin oranges, turkey burger and avocado. He likes the white of the HB egg and cheese too.

Need more examples of calories?

A flour tortilla has 80 calories. Thursday night I had two, with 1/8 cup of shredded taco cheese (55 calories), 1 TB of sour cream (about 33 calories)  and 1 TB of salsa (about 18 calories) with chicken but not much.

That's a quesadilla, by the way. We have them at least twice a week.

This coming week on the menu:

Lasagna
Tacos
Chicken
Soup/Sandwiches

The bread I buy has 80 calories in one slice.

OK, so let's review:

  • Be aware of what you are putting in your mouth.
  • If you bite it, write it.
  • Drink lots of water. (Don't waste your calories on beverages).

If you blow it with a Reese's Cup (1 has 105 calories) or a chocolate soufflé cake that you split with your husband...What? I am just giving examples. I am not saying that I ate that last night when I went out to dinner with my husband at the Rosemary Grill. Just examples, people. FOCUS!

If you think you just blew all of your hard work, relax. Don't give up and eat TWO Reese's Cups. Just shake it off. You can start over. We all have moments of weakness. Recognize them. Know your temptations. Think ahead. Plan for those "oops".

OK, where were we?

  • Be aware of what you are putting in your mouth.
  • If you bite it, write it.
  • Drink lots of water. (Don't waste your calories on beverages.
  • Give yourself grace.
  • Plan for moments of weakness.
  • Know your temptations
  • Have fun with this.
  • Set simple goals
  • Go slow.

Curtis and I are enjoying this time together. We are so busy with the children that we forget to have fun together.

Quick story....so, he is standing behind the stair climb moving it at the correct speed and I am in a fit of giggles. We are just having a good time. I love it.

I asked Curtis if he had any fitness advice. He said START. And you know, it really is that simple. And that's why it's so hard. So just start. And start slow. Set simple goals. Ours was:

Go to the gym every day for twenty minutes.

Once that goal is met, set a new one.

Go to the gym every day for thirty minutes AND break a sweat.

You might think that you have an enormous amount of weight to lose and it's discouraging. But just start with a goal like:

Go to the gym every day until I lose ONE pound.


I can do all things through Christ[a] who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

YOU CAN DO IT!

Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26

No comments:

Post a Comment