Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Getting My Heart and Head Together!

It's almost eleven o'clock. I have gone to bed several hours ago but continue to play this topic over and over and over in my mind.

Why is it so difficult to get the teachers, myself and my daughter on track? It's April 17th for crying out loud! When will the communication begin?

I think I have cried more in the last ten days than I can remember when.

I pray...or try to. I read. I search for answers. I send emails. I talk to the guidance counselor. I send more emails.

Is it suppose to be this difficult? Maybe. Maybe it's just suppose to be this difficult. We struggle and need God. We need God to save us every day. Save me from the worry. Save me from the sadness. Save me from the disappointment.

Today I broke down to my friend who is struggling in her own way. I felt guilty for doing it but I knew she would have the wisdom I needed.

After that, I sat and prayed. And what God spoke to my heart is:


Getting Good Grades is Not Biblical
 
 
I sat with my Study Bible open for morning nap time and nowhere in the Bible does it say that getting good grades is what God wants from us. This is a worldly concept.
 
 
I made a list.
 
 
Getting Good Grades = Happiness (not)
 
Getting Good Grades = Success (not)
 
Getting Good Grades = Getting a Good Job (not)
 
Getting Good Grades = Being a Good Person (not)
 
Getting Good Grades = Intelligence (not)
 
 
 
These are false statements that the world tells us.
 
 
"Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For everything in the world - the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life - comes not from the Father but from the world".
1 John 2:16-17
 
Pride of life - obsession with one's status or importance.
 
 
I hear a lot of parents talking about their kids being straight A students. I guess I am jealous. But it is not a reflection on your parenting. Honestly, it has nothing to do with you. You can't take credit for the good grades any more than I can take credit for the bad ones.
 
 
I want my children to be successful. But what the world sees as success is not what I see or what God sees for that matter.
 
 
Succeed, success (ful) to achieve a favorable outcome.
 
Skill will bring success - Ecclesiastes 10:10
 
May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed. Proverbs 20:4
 
Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed. Proverbs 15:22
 
 
God has equipped my children with talent that you cannot get from a classroom. Am I excusing them from not doing well in school. NO. They must do their best and try their hardest. But if a 70% is the best, then it's the best. Heck, if a 64% is the best, then it's the best! And God has told me so.
 
 
I was watching a show the other day and a woman was talking about her disappointment as a parent. She said that God spoke to her and said "I am the perfect parent. I had two children. They were in the perfect environment. And look what happened there."
 
 
(Adam and Eve in case you didn't get that).
 
 
God has not called me to be a perfect parent. He is the perfect parent. He has called me to train up my children in the way they should go and when they grow old they shall not depart from it.
 
 
He has called me to be kind, patient, gentle, peaceful, loving, faithful and self-controlled.
 
 
So today, I prayed for wisdom.
 
 
She is clothed in strength and dignity. She can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue. Proverbs 31:25-26
 
Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. James 3:13
 
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure, then peace loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. James 3:17-18
 
 
Tomorrow during nap time I will make a list of the things God does call us to do...a kind of expectation list for me and my children.

I have awesome children. They are beautiful. They are talented. And they LOVE the Lord. I am very blessed!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment