Saturday, March 23, 2013

What If?

I started going to Bible Study in September of 2006. My neighbor took me and my little man, who was only four years old. I had just bought my first Bible at the age of 36. My friend taught me how to read it. (1 Corinthians 2:12-14)

The name of the study was Daniel ironically. I don't remember a lot of detail about that experience (hence the reason I keep a journal) but I do know that it was something I loved so much that I couldn't wait for a new one to start the following September.

In 2008, I gave up morning Bible Study and attended an evening one. But life was getting busy and as the years went on, soccer or dance practice always seemed to over-ride my activity. In January of 2012, my daycare boss who was always so accommodating to my wishes, gave me Wednesday mornings off and I was able to complete a Priscilla Shirer study entitled Discerning the Voice of God.

I have mentioned that our schedule is PACKED with activities. So when Bible Study was moved from Wednesday to Monday night, I had to just say no. Monday night is the ONLY night we don't have an activity.

When I took the Nanny position, I gave up Wednesday Morning Ladies Bible Study, as well.

But I decided to buy the workbook and plow through it on my own. (I have not been very disciplined to tell you the truth). The study is by Beth Moore and called  James: Mercy Triumphs.

The last two weeks have been quite...quite what? Crazy, emotional, confusing, overwhelming? OK, yeah. (Hooray, Spring Break!)

I have been in the Bible and my study a lot lately. As well as prayer.

It seems like I have done more praying in the last 14 days then I have done in the last 3 months. What do people do that don't have God? Well I think we know the answer to that.

Today's verse on Bible Gateway is from the book of James.

Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

Oh perfect. Just like Him.

I am going to know just blog from my journal. These are the things that I felt very strong about:


What's Weighing You Down Today?

I had four things written in my journal.

Let Jesus lighten your burden until you float to the top, youth renewed, heart restored. He is enough. HE IS ENOUGH!

When your woes are great, His grace is greater. When our sins are vast, His mercy is deep. We cannot exceed Him. We cannot out run Him. Why do we have so much grace yet live in so much lack?

James 4:7      The command is to submit to God. Do we even know how to do this in a fallen world?

Be deliberate in what you resist and what you draw near.

I failed to do this last night and I am paying for it. My heart is sad this morning, struggling not to be disappointed. Garbage in is garbage out.

If it's under God, it's in order. Satan doesn't have to convince you and me to do his will for our life. He only has to tempt us to demand our own! God has something bigger for each of us than our human minds can hug.

Watching the baby at the coffee table got me thinking. The baby represents us and I represent God. Stay with me and let me explain. The baby is standing and holding on. He can't pull up yet. He can't do much YET. But he can hold on. I sit behind him with my arms to each side in case he topples over. He is able to stand for about 5 seconds without holding on. He looks back at me and smiles through the drool and pacifier, as to say "Hey look at me, no hands!" He wants to be so independent and I want him to learn and do things on his own.

We do things and forget that God is just an arm lengths away, waiting to catch us. He wants us to be independent in our dependence of Him.

How many times do we say "hey look at me, no hands" and then do a face plant in to the coffee table?

We can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:3 and Daniel's verse). Click here to listen to Daniel's song.

We need to look up and smile through our fears and failures and maybe then we will see the hand of God ready to break our fall.

Did you like my analogy? Yes. Oh good. Those are the things that I think about as I am alone 7.5 hours each day...just me, Baby R and God. Talk about temptation to do NOTHING all day. I have to be deliberate and intentional with EVERYTHING!

The harder but most biblically appropriate answer is seeking to walk in the spirit. True discernment breeds wisdom.

So I am going to leave you with some really profound statements/questions from Beth Moore. Enjoy your Saturday!

What if?

What if we really believed that, if we seek God's kingdom and His righteousness, everything else of true value would be given to us too? (Matthew 6:33)

What if we understood down to the marrow of our bones that His is the only plan that really does end up prospering us? Romans 8:28

What if we really believe Jesus when He says that those who insist on finding their own lives will lose them and those who lose them for His sake will find them? Matthew 16:25

WHAT IF?

What if we really believed that God is not only great, He is good?!







No comments:

Post a Comment