Thursday, January 31, 2013

Book Review

Plugged-In Parenting by Bob Waliszewski

OK, I just have to give my disclaimer. If you are reading this then you came here on your own. You do not have to like what you read. You do not have to agree with what you read. God gave us our own children to parent the way that we choose to parent. I am not criticizing your parenting so don't criticize mine. I make lots of mistakes. There are things that I would do over if I had the chance. I am not saying that I have regrets. But knowing what I know now certainly changed my point of view on many topics.

This topic is entertainment, specifically music, movies and video games. And how to raise godly children in an ungodly world!?

These are the highlights that I found to be either interesting or helpful. Again, you don't have to read any further. It's your choice.

OK, with that said:

"There is one aspect of parenting that seems to have the greatest lasting negative impact, it's when our kids see us acting in a hypocritical way. It tends to breed rebellion. Authenticity is the goal, not perfection. Let them see how you deal with failure as well as how you deal with success. Asking your child to forgive you for a mistake is one of the most powerful teaching tools you have. It's impossible for you to be perfect for your kids, but anyone can be authentic."

Lord, make me transparent. May I be the same person on the inside as I am on the outside.

"God's Word doesn't say you'll be a pervert if you watch perversion. He doesn't say you'll be depressed and angry if you listen to depressing and angry music. God doesn't say you will kill people if you play first-person shooter games...God's Word says if you choose to entertain yourself with empty philosophies of this world (Be careful that no one changes your mind and faith by much learning and big sounding ideas. Those things are what men dream up. They are always trying to make new religions. These leave out Christ. Colossians 2:8) you will struggle with your faith and joy.
Al Menconi, author of  But It Doesn't Affect Me


Four Rewards of Media Discernment
  1. Find Time to Explore the Real World
  2. Less Pain, More Gain
  3. A Healthy View of Sexuality
  4. Get Real With God

If you have time, read Production Code 1930. I had never heard of it. Eye opening. I am truly living in the wrong era.


Top Ten Tips - Practical Steps

  • Make Decisions Based on God's View
"It doesn't matter what I think. It matters what the Lord thinks."

I totally love that and will be quoting this from time to time with my children.

  • Teach WWJD (What Would Jesus Do)
If Peter, John and Matthew asked Jesus if they could see this, listen to that, eat at this restaurant or play this video game, what would He say?

  • Instill Biblical Principles
Instead of saying "because I said so" or "because you may embarrass me in front of other parents" consult scripture.

That's a hard one for me because I am bossy and controlling.

  • Model It
You  must become who you want your children to become.

I love when I see me in my children (the best of me that is). I cringe when I see the worst of me in my children.

  • Get Your Pastors on Board
  • Develop a Family Media Constitution
Yes, the children and I will be doing this!

  • Encourage Positive Alternatives
Replace old CDs, games, movies with positive choices (Christian) or neutral entertainment. Get rid of the objectionable.

Yes, the children and I will be doing this!


  • Use the Buddy System
Friends with the same view.
Iron is made sharp with iron, and one man is made sharp by a friend. Proverbs 27:17

Amanda is blessed with one and I am blessed with three!

  • Avoid Extremes
    • Permissiveness - no boundaries, everything is OK, do what you want parenting.
    • Legalism - parents rarely explain their reasoning. They just say NO!

It's not enough to quote verses at our young people.

"Our kids need to understand that using obscenities is a symptom. It's a symptom God cares about. But He is always more interested in the root problems and root solutions.

"We put Charles Manson away for life. He didn't kill anyone, but he influenced his followers to do so. Eminem has more influence and more followers than Charles Manson" Darrell Scott


I am not finished the book. But I have read enough to recommend it. People say it's just music It's just a game. But it's not. It really is not.


"Music can change the world because it can change people".  Bono (Lead Singer of U2)


There is two kinds of music the good and bad. I play the good kind. - by Louis Armstrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment