Monday, June 18, 2012

Fifteen Years of Gardening

We moved in to this house in July of 1997. I have not worked on this flower bed every spring but I have for many years. If I had to guess, I would say that for at least ten years I have been creating and recreating the design.

We had several beds to work on when we moved in. All of them had white stone. We removed those. I have phased out almost all of the beds except for four. This is the the largest, approximately 9 feet by 18 feet.

We recently had our underground oil tank removed. I was so thankful when they dug the entire bed up. I thought "oh, we should pave it and make a patio". Curtis hated that idea. I just wanted to call it a day. It looked like this for several weeks.



Attractive, right?



Last week, I finally got up the motivation to work on it. Curtis said I could do whatever I wanted.


After 15 years, I got smart and put the black cloth down before I mulched. See Tucker helping.I went to Lowes twice before Daniel came to help in his pajamas and bare feet.






Daniel unloaded seven bags of mulch.



He used the maddox and dug up the roots from the previous hostas. 



Then he went inside to have Tucker time.



I planed four identical pink azalea bushes.  Daniel said color was needed and picked out five annuals: Zinnia, Solanna Coreopsis, Moss Rose, Calibrachoa, and Salsa Coreopsis.



I went with black mulch this year. The last few years it has been the red mulch.


This is my purple garden. 



I chose the dragonfly because it reminds me of Jeannie Hopes. She has a tattoo on her foot which reminds me of my Dad. It's something that will make me smile every time I see it.






I had thought that I wanted larger stones to edge the bed but didn't know where to get them. I didn't want to spend a ton of money either. These edging rocks cost $50 total.


The entire investment was close to $400 but it is done. I don't have to spend a ton of money or time in the years to come. That was my ultimate goal. In years past, I would work on it in my free time. But now I have an athlete and a performer. Baseball's regular season is over. The summer tournaments have already started.

This corner of the garden was looking a little bare, so I moved this pot from the back yard. When I left the day care one of my student's mommy gave me the pansies. Pansies are my favorite. I bought this stone again because of the dragonfly.



I have one long bed in the back yard and a memorial garden for Curtis' mother.






 The fourth small spot currently has three strawberry plants. 



I like to garden but it just doesn't fit in to my busy life right now. In the future, I would like to have a vegetable garden. Hey, everyone needs a goal, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment