Saturday, June 23, 2012

Eighth Grade Move-up Ceremony

On Sunday, May 27th, Amanda and I hit the mall to find a dress. Before we went in, I stopped her and I prayed...

Dear Lord,
Please let us find the right dress at the right price. We don't want to spend more than $40. Amen

Once inside, Amanda reminded me that I didn't ask that it match her sparkly blue hat. So I added that part.

AND it had to be modest.

We went to JC Penny's, Delia's, DEB, and Sears. JC Penny's didn't have anything to go with her hat so we left right away. Delia's had a very small selection. DEB's prices were ridiculous. I'm talking $60 and up. When we got to Sears, Amanda actually found four dresses she like. I threw in two that I liked. Of course once she had my choices on, she didn't like them. The one that both of us loves was the last one she tried on. It was perfect! With one exception. It had a plunging neck line. I looked for something to go under it but didn't really have luck. On our way to the register we saw the perfect tank. But of course it was a medium. But now we knew what to look for.

The dress was $68.00, marked down to $34.99. The customer service rep said I could save $15 if I opened a charge account. Usually, I say no but this time, what the heck! So we got the dress for $19.99!

We went to Charlotte Russe and Amanda tried on three more tanks, size small. All too big. So we were going to try Forever 21 to see if we could find an extra small tank. As we walked by a store, Amanda said "I see a sparkly top". Great. It was Wet Seal. We have never shopped there.

Amanda tried on the tank and it fit perfectly and looked fantastic. It cost $16.91. We came in under budget by $3.82!

I was so excited that I said she could get jewelry. We bought the earrings and bracelet at Forever 21 and the necklace at Claires. The total for jewelry was $23.

AND, she already has heels to go with the outfit.

It was such a wonderful two and a half hours. I feel that I am doing a good job of teaching Amanda how to find a bargain and not just going to the mall and blowing her money. The best part of the whole experience is that she did not complain once. She was simply lovely. My little Proverbs 31 woman in training!

Yesterday she "moved up" in a ceremony to honor the eighth graders. I was wonderful. My mom, four aunts and Curtis all attended. I cried during the reflection speech and the slide show.  I know have a freshman. I can't believe how quickly the last nine years have gone.




Aunt Alice from Indiana


Aunt Evia from Kentucky (and Mom Mom)


Aunt Virgie and Aunt Liza (from Kentucky)


Amanda received an award for Honors Choir, Reading Olympics and November's Student of the month.

She had the best year ever. She had a fantastic team of teachers that never let the contract issues come in the way of receiving a good education. I am sad to have to start over again with a new school and new teachers. But I am so excited for Amanda to moving on to bigger things.

It was definitely a bitter sweet day!




1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Amanda! Love the shopping story; it's always nice when you can find a great deal. :)

    ReplyDelete