I finished this book last night. It was a quick read. I wasn't reading it on a regular basis either. I would HIGHLY recommend this one!
I am a big fan of Lysa's. She is the co-founder of Proverbs 31 Ministries but to those who "know her best she is simply a car-pooling mom who loves her family, loves Jesus passionately, and struggles like the rest of us with laundry, junk drawers, and cellulite."
At the end of the book is Healthy Eating Go-To Scripts.
1. God has given me power over my food choices. I'm supposed to consume food. Food isn't suppose to consume me.
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 12:9
2. I was made for more than to be stuck in a vicious cycle of defeat.
Scripture: Deuteronomy 2:3
3. When I am considering a compromise, I will think past this moment and ask myself, How will I feel about this choice tomorrow morning?
Scripture: 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
4. When tempted, I either remove the temptation or remove myself from the situation.
Scripture: 1 Corinthian 10:12
5. When there's a special event, I can find other ways to celebrate rather than blowing my healthy eating plan.
Scripture: Revelation 3:8
6. Struggling with my weight isn't God's mean curse on me, but an outside indication that internal changes are needed for me to function and feel well.
Scripture: Isaiah 43:18-19
7. I have these boundaries in place not for restriction but rather to define the parameters of my freedom.
Scripture: Romans 6:19
I have read the book with my pen in hand to underline the things that stuck out to me. That's how I read a book.
Crave means to long for; want greatly; desire eagerly. Pursuing holiness means God is the only One we should long for; want greatly; desire eagerly. The only One worthy of worship.
Recently, I heard a sermon about temptation. The pastor mentions alcohol. The congregation is silent. The pastor mentions drug addiction. The congregation is silent. The pastor mentions pornography. The congregation is silent. The pastor mentions chocolate cake and the congregation breaks out in to laughter.
Why is my addiction funny? Is my addiction not as serious as yours? It bothers me! But I better not even start because it will stir ungodly emotions in my heart. Moving right along...
"I need wisdom to make wise choices. I need insight to remember the words I've read in Scripture. I need power beyond what I can find on my own."
What's a snack? What's a treat? Define them. Give me examples. This was our two minute conversation this morning. Daniel said chips are a snack and chocolate is a treat. Amanda said fruit and cheese are snacks and York's are a treat.
Food is not the enemy here. Satan is the enemy. And his strategic plan is to render us ineffective or at least sluggish for the cause of Christ.
What was Eve tempted by in the garden? Alcohol? Drugs? Pornography? Shoes? NO. It was food.
The very downfall of humanity happened around a circumstance where a woman was tempted with food. So I do think this is an issue God takes very seriously.
Thank you, Lysa. Because I am not snickering at chocolate cake. I am fleeing.
Lysa concludes the book with:
Dare to set your toes firmly on the path of victory you are meant to be on. Whether we're on the path toward victory or defeat is determined by the very next choice we make. Not the choices from yesterday. Not the choices five minutes ago.
The next choice. Our very next choice. May it be that of an overcomer. An overcomer made to crave God alone.
So, go get this book. Because you were made for more!