Sunday, April 22, 2012

Change is Good!

“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." Matthew 6:24


One week has passed since I have become a House Wife. (Love it!) Curtis has given me the ultimate compliment. However, a man's compliment always sounds different than a woman's compliment.


"Oh I love those earrings. Where did you get them?"


"This is delicious. Can I have the recipe?"


"That sweater is so cute. Can I borrow it?"


You get the point. 


Curtis said Tuesday night, "You look whiter".


Ha! I immediately got it. 


(First of all, if you know me, you are probably thinking how I could look any whiter than I am. This is as dark as I get, all summer long!) 


What he meant to say (and don't you find yourself reinventing your husband's words?) was "Your face isn't all red from your blood pressure being elevated."


Yes! He said that was exactly what he meant. Then he said, "you look calmer after just two days."


And I am. I haven't screamed at the children once. (They did get a speech about homework on Thursday night, but I didn't scream.)


I wake with a peace in my heart that I can't even put in to words. I have walked the boys to school four of the five days this week. (I have another boy. His name is Eric. I'll tell you about him some time. Not this time, however.)


I made rice krispie treats and homemade rice pudding. I made collard green chips too. (Daniel and Curtis loved them. Amanda wouldn't even try them.)


I am making these some time this week.


I have re-evaluated our cable bill. There is no persuading Curtis to drop cable for something cheaper like Dish. He just isn't budging on that. So I had to re-evaluate other bills and things. I have changed my home owners policy and saved $180 a year. And just inquiring about the car insurance allowed the rep to find a error over the last two months. I will now be saving $50 a month there. 


And I am ditching the paper products. I read an article that said if I switch to cloth napkins over paper, I can save up to $80 a year. WOW. That is a huge savings. I am already doing laundry so it really isn't going to be much more, I figure.


Now I just have to find the right ones. My friend said that I want the ones that don't wrinkle. I laughed. Obviously she doesn't know me very well. I have a brand new 15 year old iron still in the box. Ha ha. Who cares about wrinkles. But she is quite insistent.


I am also going to send the children's snacks in contains instead of baggies.

So, help me out. Where else can I save money?

No comments:

Post a Comment