Sunday, January 1, 2012

My Quest to Spend Less

Happy New Year. 2012 already! I wanted to share some photos with you this morning. But my memory card is not working. So I will have to go to another topic...spending money.

I made a list of all of the things we use in a month. You know, the items that are not classified as food. For example, toilet paper, soap, laundry detergent. etc. I have no idea how fast we go through these things either. We could go through tooth paste in two weeks but it may take us five weeks to use the laundry soap. Who knows? I just never kept track.

So Friday night I made a list. This is something we have decided to do. We are making a list. If it is not on the list, it is not getting bought.

This is still the experimental phase. I chose Target. I spent $101.75. I do not have a game plan except that I am not buying these items but once a month. Will it be cheaper to buy toothpaste at Sam's Club for three months? Probably, I'll have to guess. Another thing is that I did not use coupons. I am not good with coupons. I lose things or I leave them at home. Sometimes in the past I have left them in the car and didn't realize it until I was paying. I am sure I could save some money in that department.

After I left Target, I went to Redners. I had a meal plan. I went through the cabinets to see what I needed. Then I made a list. I talked to my mom a lot during the week about how we lived. My Dad worked and my mom stayed home with the three of us. When my sister went to school, mom still stayed home. It was 1975 and a lot of women worked. But it was not frowned upon like it is now days. When that last child goes off to school, the pressure of you entering the work force is on!

I have a friend who has two boys who are thirteen and fifteen. She is a housewife. She does have a "home business" on the side but her husband said to me "I want her home". I love that! I am old-fashion at heart. I am teaching my children that as well. And I am hitting home the message that whatever you place at the center of your life is what you will bow down to. For me, it will no longer be money.

Anyway, not to get off on a tangent. But one salary worked for my parents. I know that my dad was not making even close to what my husband makes. So why can't we live within our means? It's simple. It's choice. So in my quest to spend less, I am going to "the source", that's Bertie!

My mom did not drive until I was about six years old. So she would make the list. Dad had the money and the car. He went grocery shopping...every week.

I loved that life! I look back with such awesome memories.

I am making the choice. I am taking the chance. Because I am ready for a change!

I will now start shopping once a week. People say you spend less in the long run when you buy in bulk. I believe that's true. But you certainly eat more also. If I have a box of 40 bags of goldfish. How many bags will be eaten in a month? OK, now I am rationing  food and hiding stuff. I put on my "pschyo-mommy" face and get ugly with the fact that they are eating the "hidden" food. Anyway, I hope I painted that picture for you. Less is better in my house. When the snacks are gone, they are gone. I will go again on Friday. Until then, drink a glass of water or have some hot chocolate.

Sorry, I guess I did go down a little trail. Back on track! I spent $69.20 at Redners for this weeks groceries. Is that good? I don't know. Remember, this is the experimental phase.

One thing I need to mention is that every three months we buy fresh meat from our friend's parents who have a FARM!. We go in with another family (or two) and get half a cow. Taking that in to account, I am not buying any beef.

Last night I took my meal plan for the month over to a friend's house. She is a meal planner also. I got the thumbs up! I have asked her to hold me accountable also. I need that!

Are you making any changes for 2012? Happy New Year, Friend!


“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. Matthew 6:24

1 comment:

  1. I average about $115/week at Walmart, which is our grocery store. That's for five plus Ethan who doesn't eat as much (although I do buy him a lot of yogurt). I think tracking for about 3 months is great. Dave Ramsey has some great budgeting tools on his website (www.daveramsey.com) if that would help.

    ReplyDelete