Monday, January 2, 2012

Forget Not all His Benefits

I have been off since December 20th. I have spent a lot of time on Facebook and on the blog. Tomorrow I am back to work and the children are back to school. We will have voice lessons, cub scouts, soccer, dance, baseball, youth group and AWANA. Not to mention the important stuff like homework, housework and time with my love. So if you don't hear from me, you can imagine where I am.

***********************************************************************

Yesterday the New Year's Day sermon was about remembering. Pastor Paul read some headlines from 2011. A lot of the things I didn't even know had happened. I am so out of touch with the media. Things were happening in my own little world. Funny, I couldn't remember much however. I thought 2011 was pretty good. At least it was better than 2010.

"Human beings forget easily. God is always telling His people to REMEMBER. Could we possibly forget  the greatest demonstration of love that has ever been given? Could we forget Him? That is why we have communion: Do this in remembrance of ME! 

Then Paul handed out a paper with several questions on it. Soft music was playing. The regular group that I am always surrounded with decided to worship at home. I sat with my dear friend in silence as we filled out our assignment. I was so thankful to have brought my journal. I was also relieved to hear that God has created us in this "forgetful" fashion. He has given us His Word to remind us when we forget. 

Paul asked people to share their answers. Even though there was a fraction of the congregation there (only about 65 instead of about 150), I did not share.

So, I'll share with you.

First you must read Psalm 103. 

I truly was thankful to have my journal with me. I haven't been faithful over the past months but what I did journal was all I needed.

1. What sin has the Lord forgiven you of this year?

I realized that "DISAPPOINTMENT" is a sin. It is still present in my life. I ask God to help me recognize those thoughts in my life and capture them before they lead to more.

2. How has He healed you this year?

Looking back, God has gently broken me and revealed Truth about "disappointment" and my lack of trust.

3. In what ways this year, that you're aware of, has He protected you?

April 30th - God gave me 1 Peter 5:7 to protect me! (Wow, I wrote this on Friday).

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

In September The Nineveh Study began. I recognized the disappointment creeping up again.

4. Thinking back over the year, how have you felt His love and compassion?

My year verse was Matthew 11:28: 

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

My "One Word" was REST. (But you know that already if you read what I wrote on Friday). Then my word was "weary" because that is what I had become! Galatians 6:9 and His constant love and compassion helped me to the end of the year!

5. How has the Lord satisfied your desire for good things this year?

God has "RELEASED" me from many burdens on my heart. For His yoke is easy and His burden is light! Matthew 11:30 

6. How have you seen the Lord work righteousness and justice for the oppressed?

Oppressed? I don't know. But I have seen a husband's heart soften.

PRAISE THE LORD: Now that you've taken time to remember and not forget all His benefits, what would you like to say to Him?

Thank you for not growing disappointed in me. Help me to obey your law!


No comments:

Post a Comment