Sunday, October 16, 2011

Living HOPE

If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins [dismiss our lawlessness] and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness [everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action].   
1 John 1:9 (Amplified Bible)

Today's sermon stirred some mixed emotions. I was telling Amanda how I felt as we drove to my mom's house. I asked her if she was listening to Pastor Paul's sermon. She said she heard parts of it. She later recited the part where the demons started talking (Acts 19:15). She said "I know Jesus and I know OF Paul but who the HECK are you." LOL. Pastor Paul's words exactly. She does pay attention.

At one point, Paul was walking back and forth and not really expressing a clear thought...in my mind. I was even thinking "Did you prepare for this?" LOL. I know that that was completely uncalled for but those were the thoughts floating through my blonde brain. What- is- he- talking- about?! And how does this relate to me? Because it's always about me. (Not).

Then about the last fifteen minutes, it clicked with me. I could totally relate. I said to Amanda, someone in those last fifteen minutes where saying "what does this have to do with me?" because the beginning of the sermon was what they needed to hear.

Anyway, I am going to share some key things that I wrote down. The sermon was called "the Supernatural Work of the Holy Spirit".

Wait. I need to back up. I had to walk out twice to find Daniel. He disappeared and after about two songs I found him coming out of the bathroom. Then after the music was over, we greeted everyone. Daniel disappeared again. I found him out at the drink table. He said he needed some coffee. Ha Ha. That boy needs anything BUT caffeine. So in Paul's defense, I did miss some of the sermon looking for my boy.

We are in the book of Acts, chapter 19. We talked about five Verbs of the Spirit. We talked about the word "WAY".

This is the part of the sermon that I am lost probably because I am trying to copy the notes off of the screen instead of listening to Paul's message. I really need to just listen and not really take notes.

Then Paul says "Who is the Holy Spirit to you?"

It's NOT about how much of the Holy Spirit I have, but about how much of me does the Holy Spirit have?


What evidence of the Holy Spirit is God producing in and through my life?

Ask yourself:

Is this Holy or is it not?
Is this evil or is it not?

Wow, Amanda and I had that conversation yesterday when she wanted to go see Footloose with her girlfriends. She didn't like my "absolutely never" answer.

"We need to examine our books, our movies and our songs. We need to check our hearts. Genuine repentance always bears fruit."

You don't have to tell someone that you are trying to change. The fruit will be evident!

Paul also talked about second-hand Jesus. I had never heard that expression before. That is when you are trying to live out Christianity through someone else's spiritual life.

Great sermon! I love how God uses Paul to speak the words that I need to hear. These were the affirming words that I needed to share with my daughter.

My guys are out having guy time at the farm, going out on the quad and tractor. Men things! Since I have been taking the Bringing Up Boys class, the "men" have been spending more time together doing "men things". LOL.

Amanda and I listening to Casting Crowns (Seek Justice. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly with your God!). We googled the band and the lead singer has this fundamental message:

"I want to shake people up and help them see that Jesus is not a religion, and God is not a book. You can't pray to a book and you can't draw strength from an idea or standard. If there's no relationship with Jesus as a person to you, you're in trouble. It's about life, not religion. It's about relationships, not books." Mark Hall 

I love Sundays!

1 comment: