Thursday, July 28, 2011

Our Time Capsule

We received a Wedding Time Capsule fifteen years ago. Inside I have engraved champagne stemware that we used at our wedding (thanks Lisa). I have my little white lacey shoes that I wore after I took off my heels. There were cards from people who attended and four letters called "Letter to the Future". The envelope says "Do not open until 2022" which will be our 25th. But seeing that the last year was so rough, I thought that I needed to open them for encouragement. Four people who attended out wedding wrote us letters. This one is from my sister:

Written on January 18, 1997 (Dad's birthday)

Dear Theresa,
When asked to write this letter, I could not imagine putting twenty-seven years of memories into a letter. I found my answers i a collection of poems you once gave me.

What is a sister? A sister is someone more special than words. She's love mixed with friendship. A sister is a perspective on the past and she's a million favorite memories that will always last.

I feel 1996 was the year we renewed our friendship. My favorite poem:

You are the Most Beautiful Person I Know.
You are the most beautiful person I know - not just outside, but inside too. You have a wonderful sense of humor, a loyalty that not many people have, and the gift of love you give to others. We may not be perfect; we have our share of arguments, our times of laughter, and our share of troubles. Yet we can always trust one another with anything. When you just have to share something good or bad, I will listen. You are the world to me. Words can't express my appreciation, but it means a lot to me that you are my sister, and I will love you forever. A sister like you is the greatest gift in the world.

Theresa, thank you for being my sister and friend. May the future hold the same closeness that we share today.

Love Always,
Jeannette

Do you have a sister? Did God bless you with more than one? Sisters are a blessing. Treasure them.

**********************************************************************************

January 11, 1997

Dear Theresa and Curtis,

I know that we have not been lifelong friends but it certainly feels as though we have known each other for that long. We have grown and shared experiences in this short amount of time, it takes others a lifetime to live out! I can't tell you how much I value your love, concern, time and friendship.

I am thrilled that you and Curtis "tied the knot". I guess I could give you all the standard salutations...Best Wishes, Congratulations, etc. But that's not me. I believe that you two were meant for each other. You two bring your own unique and special qualities to the relationship that make you the loving couple you are.

Our hopes and wishes for you are...may each new day bring laughter, love and a smile to your faces (especially when it's going to be a great story to share.) May with each passing year your love and friendship grow deeper and stronger. And be each others best friend. If there is only one thing I have learned in my marriage, it is that my "cute boy" is my best friend in the world.

When you read this you are to be celebrating a special anniversary. A marriage as rare and unique as yours is a priceless treasure...treat it that way always.

We love you both. Happy Anniversary! Dave and Joanne

(PS, See you for our weekend in November. No tornadoes allowed).

Remember when...

...we worked together, got paid dirt, "but no one had better jobs than us".
...big friend, little friend
...Wednesday dinner get-togethers at the Brady's
...wedding plans by your very own wedding coordinator
...the wedding day, boom box disaster
...the minor storm that disrupted our beach weekend, but according to Curtis and Dave it was "nothing".
...David backing into your car and me breaking the news to you.
...the mummers strut down the boardwalk.
...road trip to Gina's, "cow patch" town.
...dinners that were very, very average.
...hockey games that were out of control!!!
...our painting jobs.

But most of all remember we love and cherish the time we have spent together, and look forward to many more years!

**********************************************************************************

Joanne sang at my wedding. We have lost touch over this last very difficult year but just reading her words have warmed my heart and reminded me of how much I have missed her friendship this past year.

I have two more letters to share. But they will have to wait until tomorrow. Have sweet dreams, friends.

3 comments:

  1. Aww! And fifteen years later the poems speak perfectly my feelings for you! Loved Joanne's letter too =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! That's why I was so teary eyed. Yes, Joanne's words were perfect, especially coming from someone who had not known us as a couple for very long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea! And yeah for you for opening it early--encouragement is more important than sticking to timelines.

    ReplyDelete