Monday, July 11, 2011

Books Again

So, I started a book and lent it to a friend. I mentioned that to another friend who said I could borrow her copy. As far as I know, she did not drop that off so I continued reading the other. Well...doesn't God always know what is best for us?

This is the book that I am to read first. The other can wait.

This book is about becoming the Proverbs 31 Woman. Yes, it is a dream of mine.

Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: Proverbs 31:28

I am trying to get back on track with the sleeping and what is going to happen tonight? We have a game at 8:30 pm. I won't be in bed until 11 pm! But for today, I was up at 5 and had quiet time to start my day.

I read in the book of John and then started A Woman's Secret to a Balanced Life. Have I mentioned that I love it? Well I do!

I just finished reading Chapter 8 called "Leader: The Gift only a Wife Can Give".

It can be difficult at times to let our husbands be the leaders of the home; however, that's what God created them to be. And when we follow God's plan for marriage, whether we understand it or not, we have a greater chance of living happily ever after.

Archaic or not, the failure of one out of every two marriages proves that our twenty-first century program isn't working too well. We're doing something wrong. We're making some big mistakes, and one of them is usurping the husband's role as leader.

The LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.” Genesis 2:18

Yes, God had special plans for woman, but being the leader of the home wasn't one of them.

But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.
1 Corinthians 11:3


Why do we women struggle so with the issue of leadership? I think it goes back to the garden. Note that just a few verses after God made Eve, she's already taking the lead, disobeying God and dragging a rather weak Adam along. Because of Adam and Eve's disobedience, each received several curses from God.

Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. Ephesians 5:22

That doesn't mean the husband is a dictator and the wife is a doormat. Ephesians 5:25 tells the husband to love his wife as Christ loved the church and gave His life for her. That doesn't sound like any dictator I've ever known. It sounds like sacrificial love.

She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. Proverbs 31:26

It doesn't mean she walks around saying, Yes dear. Whatever you say, dear.

But what if I know I'm right? You might ask.
To obey God is the "ultimate right." After all, we're accountable to God for our obedience.

When it comes to submission, we have three choices:

Lovingly submit to our husbands and support them in their leadership.

Begrudgingly submit to our husbands, complete with pouting, sulking, cold shoulders, nonverbal hostility, and a bounty of "I told you so's" if their decisions turn out unfavorably.

Refusing to submit, thereby winning the battle but chipping away at the foundation of the marriage.

I've done all three (SO HAVE I). Number one is best.


And this is where I stopped. The first six chapters address Principle #1:
Revere Jesus Chris as Lord.

Chapters 7 through 12 touch upon Principle #2:
Love, Honor, and Respect Your Husband

Good stuff. I just had to stop and share with you on this topic. Submission is a difficult concept to grasp in today's society. But remember, we are not to be of this world just because we live in this world!

I hope you take these words to heart. I believe that marriage is the strongest union of God that is on earth. And Satan is on a minute by minute attack. Our husbands are not the enemy.

OK...now I need to spend some time quietly in prayer for all of our marriages. Have a Marvelous Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment