Thursday, April 21, 2011

My Secret Name

I have been wanting to be here for a while now but have not been able to actually get here for more than a quick copy and paste from my morning email devotionals. I love that I receive one from Girlfriends in God and Proverbs 31 Ministries. I don't always get to them when they arrive. Sometimes it is many days later. Sometimes I even delete a few if they get too backed up. No guilt. God knows what I need to hear and when I need to hear it. Some of the devotions are forwarded to my encourager's. I have a circle of ladies that I email each morning. I encourage them and they encourage me.

Anyway...

I have been reading a book called My Secret Name by Kary Oberbrunner. It is fantastic. Once I really started getting in to it, I finished it in a couple of days. It was just over 200 pages. The premise of the book is the story of Jacob. The name Jacob means deceiver. But God whispered his secret name to him, Israel. Israel means God perseveres. We all are named at birth. Then we have given names that we believe. These are mine:


air head
bossy
controller
dummy
eavesdropper
gossiper
holy rolly
invisible
Jesus Freak
liar

OK, you get the point, right? So here are just a few notes I took. But this time I went back and wrote down a few things in my journal:

" Funny how we humans go to great lengths to do life in our own strength. After all, if we abandon God first, then He can't abandon us. We prefer self-induced loneliness over other-initiated rejection. With the former, we're at the steering wheel, in control. But with the latter, we're sticking our necks out and we'd much rather play it safe.
All our baggage makes it hard for us to move, so it's a good thing God isn't waiting on us. Make no mistake, God has spoken. The real question is, have we listened?
Ironically, we tend to hear best amidst personal heartbreak. Maybe God speaks louder in such scenarios. Or maybe we just listen closer."

After finishing the book, there is a website listed to help you find YOUR secret name. OK, I thought. I'll check that out at another time. We need to get to Breakaway. I was driving and thinking about our card board testimony assignment which is due on Saturday for Sunday's Easter service. I thought about a friend who told me what she was going to write. On one side we write our before Christ word or phrase. On the other, we write what God has done for us. Her "after" is but now I'm found. I thought, yes, we are all lost. I myself am invisible. Just at that moment the Holy Spirit whispered,

"No you're not. You are seen"

At that moment I felt that feeling. I think I know my secret name, I told Amanda. When I got to the building, I tried to get on-line to look the word up, but it crashed. I asked three people if they had a concordance in their bible and all three didn't have their bible on them. Oh well, it will have to wait until later. One of the people offered to go to their car and get the Bible. I looked up SEEN and guess what? Nothing came up. LOL. He suggested I look up SIGHT. This is what I found:

Psalm 116:15 "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his faithful servants."

Uh, no that's not my verse. Let's look again, I think.

Then I see this verse:

2 Corinthians 5:7 (New King James Version)
"For we walk by faith, not by sight."


I smile, close the Bible and said, thank you. That's it!

If you haven't noticed, that is the verse at the top of the blog. God spoke to me and said that I didn't have to be noticed by anyone else. He notices me and I am faithful to Him. That is enough. His grace is sufficient.

I highly recommend this book. It has just given me one more reason to draw closer to my Lord. Please take a moment to check out Kary Oberbrunner (the author's)website. Yesterday he was talking about fasting. I have been fasting for several days. Maybe I'll blog and share that with you...someday...or maybe not.

Have a blessed night and remember that on Good Friday, Jesus died for everyone not just us Followers. He loves you desperately and wants to have a relationship with you.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."




************************************************************************************

I just went to Your Secret Name website and there is a test you can take to find out your secret name. I clicked on invisible and it brought up this:

"Then she called the name of the LORD who spoke to her, You-Are-the-God-Who-Sees; for she said, “Have I also here seen Him who sees me?” Genesis 16:13

How can you doubt God exists? I LOVE HIM!

1 comment:

  1. This is great, I really got a lot out of it. "We prefer self-induced loneliness over other-initiated rejection." This really spoke to me.

    ReplyDelete