Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Grades are in

Yesterday was report cards. Amanda received three A's, one B, two C's and two D's. I couldn't be happier!

English - A...B...C (69.77, whoo hoo!)
Social Studies - B...D...D (66%)
Pre-Algebra - B...F...D (60%)
Science - B...D...C (75%)
Tech Ed - A (that's wood shop)
Fam. Cons. Sci - B (that's home economics)
Phys Ed - A
Health - A

She worked her behind off to receive these grades. English was a big surprise because I was certain it would be one C and three D's. When I shared that with people, each and everyone would go "oh".

Amanda's best friend has received straight A's for all three marking periods. That is 24 A's. It is impressive to see. And that's her, I tell Amanda. We are not to compare our life with anyone else's life. It's hard. We do. But God has made Amanda in His image. She is blessed by the best.

Last night, I didn't feel like doing anything. It was a very long day with the apples. We had an ice-cream party at 10 am (what?!) and then the pageant at 4:30. The Apples sang "Were You There When They Crucified My Lord". I got home at 6 pm. Ran the children around and then collapsed on the couch by 7:15. The house was quiet. My head was pounding. I just rested and reflected on the weeks events. This morning, I found these words to be so comforting in the devotional that arrived yesterday.

From Girlfriends in God, written by Mary Southerland (April 8)

Today's Truth
"He who sacrifices thank offerings honors me, and he prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God" (Psalm 50:23)




Praise turns trials into faith-builders as we learn to measure our problems against His limitless power, transforming the stumbling blocks of today into stepping stones for tomorrow.

Praise frees us from having to understand our circumstances, knowing that God is in control. A heart that is filled with praise does not have to understand every detail of the circumstance. In fact, the details really don't matter. What does matter is that God is aware of every minute detail, monitors the circumstance and shapes it to fit His plan.

Praise transforms tragedy into triumph. Are we going to become bitter or better?

I know that many of you have had a tough year. Loss, disappointment, pain, financial stress ... the list is endless. Go ahead and make that list, girlfriend. Add it all up. Then factor in the grace, mercy and love of God - and celebrate the fact that He is more than enough. Praise God!

Let's Pray
Father, I give You praise for Your hand at work in my life. At times, I have not understood what You were doing - and still don't. But it doesn't matter, Lord, because I know I can trust You. Help me remember that my inner heart attitude does not have to reflect my outer circumstances. No matter what comes my way, I can praise You, knowing it will all turn out for my good and Your glory.
In Jesus' name,


Daniel's report card is a little different. Math is the only grade he receives. He has had a C for the last two marking periods but has gone up to a B-!

Anyway...

Today is opening day of little league. We will be busy from now until June. So if you are wondering where we are, it's at a game or at a practice, seeing that Daniel is on two teams. Have a Spectacular Saturday!

4 comments:

  1. All progress should be celebrated! It's hard work and I know this! Bet your Apple performance was emotional..special song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Amanda! (And Momma!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad for you both.... it is a hard journey and does require so much of both the child and the parent. Be proud of the hard work and that there were celebrations!

    ReplyDelete