Sunday, April 3, 2011

Age of Opportunity

These are notes that I took from my Wednesday night class. While Amanda is at youth group (Breakaway) I meet with other "needy" parents. That's what we call each other. I needed to take a parenting class twelve years ago. But all they offer you is how to bath a baby. How to nurse a baby. How to diaper a baby. They don't tell you how to handle a child who is being selfish, shouting commands at his family. They don't tell you how to deal with a child who lies. They don't tell you how to deal with a child who feels that they are the center of the universe.

So, on Sundays I meet with a mixed group (men and women) to get to the root of Christ's teachings. On Wednesday, I meet with "teen" parents. And on Thursday I meet with my "sistas".

Am I so Godly because I go to three bible studies? No, I am in an incredible need of Jesus!


Getting to the Heart of the Child


Luke 6:45

A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.



Use these questions when the child needs correction.

1. What was going on?
2. What were you thinking and feeling as it was happening?
3. What did you do in response?
4. Why did you do it? What did you want to happen?
5. What was the result? (and what happened?)


Change is a process not an event.


1. Situation or interpreting
2. Heart
3. Words and behavior
4. Motives, goals, purposes, desire
5. Consequence


Precept ……..Principle……..Person (God)

Don’t Steal……..Honesty…….Honest


No matter how well you act with the child, you cannot change a child.


Goal – lasting change

Is lasting change taking place?

Get to Your Own Heart

1. You will turn moment of ministries into moments of anger.
2. Because you personalized it. It’s not about you.
3. Is it an object of my affection or an obstacle in my way.
4. Do we settle for quick situational solutions that don’t get to the heart of
the matter? No wisdom, no insight?

No comments:

Post a Comment