Sunday, January 16, 2011

Joyful

Today's characteristic is JOYFUL. That's kind of funny...well not funny ha ha but funny "of course", seeing what we have gone through in the last two days. And you know what? It is an appropriate characteristic to describe BOTH of us right now (joyful that is).

Yesterday was my love's birthday and he was struggling as he attempted to hang a new door. He said "this is not how I expected to spend my day." But he had a smile on his face.

Getting back to the book "A woman who reflects the heart of Jesus". I love it. I have awakened for the last fifteen days to read this book before starting my day. Here are the characteristics that have been covered so far:


Approachable
Available
Compassionate
Confident
Courageous
Disciplined
Faithful
Focused
Forgiving
Generous
Gentle
Good
Gracious
Humble
Joyful

Hey, I just noticed that they are alphabetized. (I am a little slow).

Notes I took regarding JOYFUL:

You will never find the word happiness in relation to Jesus. Why? Because happiness is a response to a sense of well being or good fortune or prosperity. Jesus never allowed Himself to be controlled by His circumstances.

Jesus' joy was a gift from the Father.

Joy comes from having a consistent relationship with Jesus. As you walk in the Spirit, your life is vitally connected with Jesus.


Galatians 5:16 "So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh."

Your heart will rejoice and no one will take that from you.


John 16:22 "So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy."


Who wouldn't want joy instead of the draining, negative alternatives?

Changes you can make even while you are under the stress of suffering:

Take joy in your salvation.
Walk in the Spirit.
Choose to respond in joy.
Offer up praise to God
Understand God's will regarding thanksgiving.
Pray for joy in your ordeals.

The purpose of this book is to take a good look a the character traits that stand out in Jesus' life. Our hearts' desire is to follow in His foot steps, to emulate Him, to grow and become more like Him.


Each chapter ends with a beautiful prayer.

Dear Jesus, help me to remember that my joy comes from my relationship and walk with You. You are my joy and the source of my joy. May I stop allowing anyone or anything to rob me of my joy in You, and may others see Your joy in me. AMEN.

Why don't we feel ALIVE in this world we are living in? Maybe because we don't know what joy is. We don't know Joy Himself.

2 comments:

  1. For some reason my friend could not post a comment. This is what stands out to her:

    "Joy comes from having a consistent relationship with Jesus. As you walk in the Spirit, your life is vitally connected with Jesus.
    VITAL ... yes, VITAL connection"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gift of JOY was given to us freely from the Lord through Jesus Christ. We can welcome in that gift or refuse it. JOY is always in my life. Now this isn't to say I'm always "happy"! I often think that people mix up joy and happiness. As I said joy is a free gift that lives within us, happiness is what our outlook or take on things/life is.

    I embrace the JOY that was freely given and lives in my heart, and I "seek" Him to be happy even when I'm not feeling is....another one of those that is often easier said than done. Oops, sorry to ramble!

    Love to you!!!

    ReplyDelete