Sunday, December 19, 2010

Dad's Day

Wednesday night (December 15th) was filled with lots of people, hugs and laughs. From about 6 pm to about 7:45, the people flooded in. We greeted people that we have never met. We greeted people that we haven't seen in fifteen plus years. And we greet those who we love and are helping us get through the days now that Dad is not in them.

At 7:45, my nine year old nephew, read The Dragonfly Story because the church said no. Then my brother gave an off the cuff eulogy again because the church would not let him. It was wonderful. (I've asked him to put in on paper for us. Someday, I'll post that.) It was heartfelt and it was spot on. Dad was a family man. One of my friends said one of the truly good guys. One of Dad's friends said that he was trying to find the words to describe "Reds" Flynn. He finally came up with "He was a nice, nice, nice guy". Yes he was.

Thursday morning started with an argument with my eight year old. My nephew's suit pants did not fit. He didn't want to wear the dress shirt. He tripped over his junk in his bedroom and got hurt. He fell in to a puddle of tears and that's when I lost it too. Daniel ended up wearing a plaid button down shirt with the suit jacket. He wore his black under armor baseball pants and his goldenrod baseball socks with his beat up sneakers (no, I didn't take any pictures, sorry). And I was just fine with that. I don't know what other people think of my kid, but I don't care, as long as he is comfortable and happy, then I am fine too.

We had another hour at the funeral home before heading over to the church. (I'll keep this part brief.) I am composing a letter and when I am finished I will post it here for your viewing pleasure.

The church vetoed "Where you there when they crucified my Lord" saying that it was an Easter song and it's the Christmas season. They did play the other 3 songs we requested. They did not allow John 14 to be read because it is THE GOSPEL and only the priest can read that. I am not sure why the priest didn't read that. He read something else. I couldn't even tell you what it was or about. My nephew read 1 Timothy 2:5-6:

For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time.

The funniest part was when the priest gives the announcement about if you are a Catholic you can take communion but he does add that you have to be in good standing with the church. In other words, a practicing Catholic who has gone to confession. A certain someone went up to communion which sent my sister and I in to a fit of laughter. It was just what we needed at that moment to lighten things up.

From the church we went to the cemetery. It was bitter cold. Two service men were there and one played Taps. Then we sang "I'll be home for Christmas". This is when we cried. This was Dad's favorite song. He would sing it all year round. He would sing it at the mall in July and embarrass my Mom, she said.

Then as Jeannie Hopes put it "we drowned our sorrows in food". (Did I get that right, sister, dear sister. Sister, dear sister, come home with me now. Silly goose).

We had lunch and talked for over two hours until they had to kick us out. It was a wonderful day to celebrate the life of John (Jack, Reds) Flynn. I think Dad would have been happy with every single aspect of the day.

2 comments:

  1. My my, so many rules they have! The Gospel will always be preached even with their attempts to squelch it.
    It sounds like your dad was truly honored at the service. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry they were so ridiculous about things being done their way. Being protestant is ever so much easier, don't you think? (although even the Catholic church allows for lay leaders ::rolling eyes::

    How wonderful that he was so loved and admired--and that you got to have special time with friends and family to share about your dad.

    ReplyDelete