Saturday, November 20, 2010

Update on Dad


I was going to call this "quick update" but I already did that. Why is everything quick?

Dad came home yesterday afternoon. My mom was told that he was NOT being released by several people. Then the therapist said "the computer shows he has already been released". The nurse called the doctor and said that he was too weak according to the therapist and the order should be cancelled. The doctor said "what is the wife saying. I agree with the wife."

I had a call at 1:30, I think but they didn't get home until 3:30.

Dad had taken about six bites while in the hospital (four days). Of course he was weak. Mom wanted to get him home. He would be more comfortable and she would feed him.

There were a few errors made by the hospital. When he was brought in someone in the ER put in his chart that he had a seizure. He did not. Someone told my mother at 4 am that he was getting a room soon and sent her home. He did not. I think that because he could not communicate for the next 5 HOURS IN THE ER, and the seizure mix-up, the hospital put him on the stroke wing. He did not have a stroke. It was a fever caused by E. Coli. But because he was on that wing, all of his liquid was thickened. He wouldn't drink it! Would you?

If he had been on another wing, he might have been in a better frame of mind and would have eaten something.

I saw him last night. My brother thinks that this could be the beginning of the end. But only "God Know". I however don't feel that. I think that he is fully capable of getting stronger. He is shaky because the lack of nourishment for four days.

He has a cath. in place. He hates it of course. He opened his robe to show me. For a minute, I thought "what am I looking at?" Then I saw everything (and the cath.) Oh my! I guess you get to a certain age and it doesn't matter who you show what to.

Also, mom has called the attorney and he is drawing up papers to make her the power of attorney. The nurses and doctors didn't treat her very nice.

I am going over today with the children for a short visit. Then I don't know when I'll get back. The work week is always so busy.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a hospital stay, sounds just awful!
    Happy he is home with your mom and can eat some real food from his dear wife. You all remain in my thoughts and prayers.

    A hug and love to you my dear friend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he's home where he's more comfortable and has an excellent nurse. How are YOU holding up?

    ReplyDelete