Thursday, November 11, 2010

Chapel


Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Psalm 118:1


Click here to hear the song that goes along with the above verse.


I work at the best "day care" in the entire world. It's actually called an early learning center but of course no one calls it that. We are a Christian center in the LTM building where I attend Sunday service often. The philosophy is Fruit of the Spirit. Every child will eventually learn their ABC's and 123's but who will teach them gentleness, peace, patience, love, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control? We will, that's who!

I LOVE MY JOB. It's funny but I don't think it's a job most days. It is exhausting pretty much every day but that's just life. Today I sat and watched as two of the Good Apples glued little pieces of scrap paper on their "Scrappy Scarecrow". It was adorable. The pants I wore today has a lovely little (getting bigger) hole on the right knee. It's from too much crawling around on the floor. I'm not complaining because these such mentioned pants are fitting a little tight (thank you Cherry pie from Rohrbach Farm) and will need to be retired soon anyway.

I GET EXCITED TO GO TO WEE CARE. Do you get excited to go to your place of business each day? I have to be there by 8:00. I live approximately four minutes from the building, maybe a mile and a half. I start vibrating at 7:20 if we are not headed out of the house. OK, I do have an unhealthy relationship with time. I have removed the clock from the kitchen wall and set the microwave and stove clocks to read five minutes fast. It's my coping mechanism but I am BREAKING FREE with Beth Moore every Thursday nights (another post on that progress at a later date). I usually arrive at work about 7:30. It's like a big exhale when I get there. It's my break from life. I guess to most people that sounds odd. Who calls hanging with 13 three year old boys (and 4 girls) "a break"? Just crazy me. Yep, call me crazy. I've been called worse.

COULD MY JOB GET ANY BETTER? Some days I wonder that. And then it happened. Yes. It happened. On Wednesday, the preschool side of the building (ages 3-6) attended Chapel. To describe the experience in one word, I would have to say AMAZING. The Good Apples arrived first (because I have time issues and can't be late...BREAKING FREE) and sat in the first row. Then the Kind Coconuts and the Self-Controlled Star fruit followed shortly after.

THE CHILDREN LOVED IT! Pastor Paul and Pastor Steve (who was very funny) led the mini-service. We learned a verse with hand motions. We heard a bible story AND we sang two songs. The children were engaged. They participated and had a great time. I sat on the floor in front of three of the more challenging boys. The one little guy looked at me and said "you love God". I smiled and my heart was just so filled with love. I DO! I said. Then he pointed and said "Your book". It was a black Bible like I have in the classroom. The three wanted to jump up on stage and play the bongos but they had self-control, because I sat in front of them.

Miss Carolyn and I had a great time. We both agreed that Chapel should be EVERY DAY. We can't wait until December 22 to do it again (but we will be patient if we must). Today, the Good Apples practiced Psalm 118:1 again. Children are little sponges and are already learning it.

I am so blessed to be in a place that I love, working for people I love, teaching about Jesus every day (who I LOVE) and getting paid for playing LEGOS too. (Sorry, I had to add that part since I now have to buy a new pair of pants.)

Galatians 5:22-23 (NLT) "But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."

1 comment:

  1. I admire your ability to work with small children. I love small children in very small doses. Or a few children in larger doses.

    And yes, I love my job. I think it's crazy that I get to get paid to help people organize stuff, which comes naturally to me.

    Oh, and one of my old bosses used to call me "Big Bennett" (my maiden name was Bennett) after the clock in England because I was so obsessed with time!

    ReplyDelete