Monday, November 15, 2010

Big John






In October of 1995, my dad had an aneurysm rupture in his abdomen. The doctors gave him 1% chance of surviving the surgery. He beat those odds.

We were told in the middle of the surgery, that his legs would be amputated. He beat those odds.

We were told that they would have to amputate just one leg. He beat those odds.

We were told that he was going to be on dialysis for the rest of his life. After 45 days, he beat those odds.

This is a man of many miracles. God continues to bless him. In 2004, another aneurysm was discovered in his abdomen. The doctors have been watching it grow. It is now at the dangerous size of 6 cm. The surgeon gave him the option of doing nothing or having surgery. If he chooses to do nothing, then it would eventually rupture and he would bleed out, as it is on a main artery to the one and only kidney. If he had the surgery, there was no guarantee that he was going to survive it. Also, the kidney most likely would not make it, leaving him on dialysis for the rest of his life. After 1st deciding not to have surgery, he was persuaded to have the surgery. Only to later find out that his kidney doctor would be the one to strongly disagree with this decision. He would most definitely not survive since he only had one surgery.

It was three weeks of stress on my parents, going back and forth with "what should we do". My dad said two words that just stuck in my head "God Know" (God knows). He had several strokes in 2006 and his speech is not there most days. So no surgery, but my parents now live with the knowledge that the time bomb is ticking away in his abdomen, waiting to rupture.

What now? GOD KNOW.

I went to visit my dad yesterday. He was running a fever and had thrown up. Right before I got there, he fell and cut his hand. He was in bed. He looked terrible. In 1995 right before the aneurysm ruptured, mom and dad thought he had the flu. So of course that is on my mind as well as my mom's. She is a wreck with worry. I prayed for him (holding his hand)and then he slept the two hours I was there. He was awake when we left. Please pray for God to comfort them and take away their worry.

This is the BibleGateway verse "Trouble and distress have come upon me, but your commands give me delight."- Psalm 119:143


Yes, God Know!
I woke this morning not in my usual Marvelous Monday Mood. Please pray for me too. I am having "a feeling" that I am not too fond of right now. Thanks you!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry. We are all "ticking time bombs", I guess, but your mom and dad just know there is a closer end to his. I can't imagine living with that stress each day. Do they know the Lord?

    ReplyDelete