Saturday, October 30, 2010

What a day!

“ A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need. ” Proverbs 17:17 NLT)

It's been a God-filled day, a day only God could orchestrate. I was at the grocery store at 7:06 this morning to get bread and fruit before I had to be at work for a pediatric first aid class. I pulled in the lot just when MY SONG came on the radio. Great, I'll miss it, I thought. But then I remembered how I make time an idol. I thought, "why can't I sit in the car and listen to this song? What will it do but slow me down for 3 or 4 minutes". So I sat and listened. I thought about my baptism and how my dear friend Cheryl read the words:

More than my next breath, More than life or death,
All I'm reaching for, I live my life to know You more.
I leave it all behind, You're all that satisfies.
To know You is to want to know You more.

Yes, I thought. Those are my words sung by Casting Crowns. I turned off the car, shopped and was home in time enough to not be rushed...and was still at Wee Care by 7:40 am. I sat in the car and prayed before I went in.

I want to do Your will.
Everything else I count as loss to know You more.
Help me be a blessing. Empty my heart and fill it with Your gentleness. Thank you for loving me when I am harsh. Thank you for never being harsh with me.


I came home to a hungry family who was vibrating to get out of the house. We went to Chick-fil-a for lunch and ran some errands. We finally ended up at the little strip mall near our house. The boys went one way and we stopped at Redners for some last minute party foods. (Amanda is having her first Halloween party. No, I am not happy but I am being a really good sport about all of these ghoulies hanging out in my house. There will be no pictures. Sorry to disappoint you.)

At check-outs I bought a $20 gift card at the last minute. As we walked by our favorite pizza place, The BallPark, I said to Amanda lets stop in. I knew SHE was in there. I asked the waitress who's bike was out front. She said "someone already paid for her meal". I asked, "is that her in the hat?". The waitress said yes.

Click here now.

Amanda and I went over to talk to HER. I asked if we could sit for a little bit. She said sure. I gave her the gift card. I introduced myself and Amanda. We sat and talked for close to an hour. Today is her birthday. She is 46, just four years older than me. She grew up in the same town as me. She went to the same schools as me and had the same teachers. She was very talkative. I let her talk and I listened. I did ask some questions. She has been without a home for five years. She is on welfare and they provide a phone to her. I gave her LTM's number and a contact name for our food bank.

Then I prayed for her. I held her hand. When I stood up, I hugged her.

Today my actions spoke louder than my words. God had his hand completely on every situation in the day. I am glad that I was obedient and overcame the fear and spoke to LISA.

"And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love." 2 John 1:6

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! Loved the song too. I know you are struggling with things but even so you always look to make an impact on others. You are such a good person and I love you.

    ReplyDelete