Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Books

Book, books, books. I love books. They are something I collect. Illustrated books are my favorite. But I do have grown-up books.

I just finished reading "Shepherding a Child's Heart", by Tedd Tripp. It was wonderful. I highly recommend it. Some day I may post all the highlighted info that I learned. I wish I had read it when the children were going through those tough toddler years. But it will be very helpful in my classroom, since on an average day we have twelve three-year-old boys.

I have started "Crazy Love" and a book about fasting. I have a bag of Joyce Meyer books loaned to me by a co-worker. And I have "The Love Dare", of course. But this morning, when I went for the book about fasting, I realized it was in my car. And it is raining. So I started "Age of Opportunity" by Paul Tripp. I know I am going to love it.

"I noticed a couple sitting nearby. They looked very unhappy. I was curious, so I asked them if they had enjoyed the weekend. Everything had been great, they replied. I commented that they didn't look very happy. The women responded, "We have two teenagers and we are dreading going home. We wish this weekend would last forever!" "You just have to expect your teenager to be rebellious; all of us were," her husband added. "you just have to ride it out." "Besides," she moneyed, "you can't argue with hormones!"

I walked away impressed that something is fundamentally wrong with the way we thing about this time in a child's life. Something is inherently wrong with the cultural epidemic of fear and cynicism about our teenagers. Something is wrong when a parent's highest goal is survival. We need to take another look; Is this a biblical view of this period in a child's life? Does this view lead to biblical strategies of parenting and biblical hope?

We need to examine what is wrong with the cynicism about teenagers that is endemic in our culture.


Do you have a teenager? What is your highest goal? Is it survival? I'd love to know.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that I am somewhat dreading having four teenagers! But I also agree that there's something wrong with that dread.

    What is the book about fasting? This is a current topic in our home!

    ReplyDelete