Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Teaching God to little ones Part 2

Ok, so today I had the most awesome experience at work. The power went out!

Well it just so happens that the topic for February is "Light and Dark". I found a verse that corresponds with the topic.

"You are my lamp, O LORD; the LORD turns my darkness into light." 2 Samuel 22:29

I happened to be in the bathroom with five of my six Plums. Miss Michelle who teaches in the Coconut room (4 year olds) was also having bathroom time. She started singing "This Little Light of Mine". Great tie-in.

When we went back to the room, the other 12 Plums were sitting with Miss Denise and Miss Tina had a flashlight. I read the verse to everyone. Then I remembered a Keys for Kids devotional that I had done with Amanda and Daniel. The devotional talked about keeping your flashlight on the path so you didn't stumble over the roots. I talked about keeping the light on the path so we didn't stumble over all of the toys on the floor. I said Jesus is the Light and we need to stay on His path. All of a sudden the power came back on and I shouted "It's Jesus". All of the children cheered. It was awesome.

A little while later, I was reading the same verse with my group. Everyone had their "pointy finger" and I moved the bible around the group so each could touch the words on the page. I sang the B-I-B-L-E. I said we pray to talk to God and God talks to us through this book called the Bible.

A little later, I had Miss Denise's group at the table for Bible study. One of my little girls came over and I said "No, honey. You already had a turn". Then I realized I was discouraging the Bible from her. I realized that that's like saying "no, you can't have more broccoli!". So she had a second turn with her pointy finger.

It was a Terrific Tuesday in the Plum room. I am just so excited to do it all again. I love that I love my job!

1 comment:

  1. What a gift you have, and what a gift you ARE. I couldn't do that no matter how much I tried!

    ReplyDelete