Thursday, February 4, 2010

Round Two

Tomorrow we are meeting with the team again. I had requested a conference with the math teacher. In return I recieved a phone call saying that the team could meet on Friday morning, at 9 am. Great. Convenient for who? I have to be at work at 7:30 am, then leave for the meeting, then jet back to the class when the meeting is over. Let's just add stress to my already stressed neck.

If I had time, I'd see my chiropractor. But who can find time to do that?

In addition, I have contacted someone at the top. He has advised me that I should request another evaluation now that Amanda is in a new school. Here's what I've been working on:

This letter is to request a formal evaluation of our daughter, Amanda. Currently, Amanda attends the sixth grade at Carl Sandburg. Amanda has struggled academically since the second grade. Amanda has ADHD, which we recently were made aware, is covered under the IDEA act. The effects of ADHD has had an adverse effect on her educational performance, including grades and achievement test scores as well as impaired her work skills. We are re-evaluating the 504 Plan however we are wondering if Amanda is entitled to more under the IDEA act.

On Sunday, I started reading a book that has been sitting on my shelf for SEVERAL years. But on Sunday, I was drawn to read it. WOW, talk about timing. I was angry and upset at first. "Why didn't I read this when I bought it?" But I know that God has a plan for everything and that we needed to walk the road that we have been on. He has never taken his eyes off of us. He purposed the actions on Sunday and continues to do so without missing a beat. And he provided His son to walk beside me, to carry me on many days.

Here are some of the notes I've put together:

The effects of AD/HD have had an adverse effect on Amanda’s educational performance, including grades, achievement test scores and impaired her work skills.

Information taken from the book “The ADD & ADHD Answer Book”, Susan Ashley, PHD

For children with AD/HD, no technique is going to “cure” the disorder or eliminate all the symptoms. To think it is as easy as a new technique to stop the problem, would be to deny the fact that the child even has a disorder.
We need to forget how old she is or what grade she is in.

IDEA states that the child must have a disability that requires special education services. Section 504 has a lower threshold and requires only that the child need modifications and accommodations in order to take part in learning. Section 504 makes allowances, modifications, and/or accommodations to help the child with AD/HD compensate in areas where her disorder causes a significant negative impact on her educational performance.

To qualify for Section 504 a child must:
• Be determined to have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, including learning and behavior
• Have a record of having such an impairment or be regarded as having such an impairment

Some examples of accommodations and modifications for the AD/HD child in the main categories of impairment include:

• Attention:
Move seat to the front of class
Allow extra time to complete projects

• Organization and Planning:
Keep second set of textbooks at home

• Academic Skills:
Allow extra time to complete tests
Decrease amount of homework


Who qualifies for special education under IDEA?

• Autism
• Mental Retardation
• Multiple disabilities
• Orthopedic impairments
• Emotional disturbance
• Specific learning disability
• Speech or language impairment
• Traumatic brain injury
• Visual impairments including blindness
• Other health impairment (includes AD/HD)


Some of the accommodations and modifications that AD/HD children may benefit from include the list below.

• Cutting the quantity of homework in half
• Setting a fixed time limit for your child to work on homework
• Allowing your child to type rather than handwrite homework
• Providing extra time to complete projects
• Allow an extra set of textbooks to remain at home
• Allow the child to correct errors for full credit
• Provide advance warning of long term projects
• Grades will not depend on neatness

Why is homework so difficult for AD/HD children?
To start, the child must hear the assignment, understand it, and write it down correctly. She must decide what items she needs to bring home and put them in her backpack, remembering to take it home. Resisting the temptation to lie about having homework, she must resign herself to do it, knowing she will miss out on fun. She has to unpack the backpack, review her assignment book, prioritize assignments, and organize the materials.
Next comes actually doing the work. She must pay attention, focus, and resist distractions. She needs to exert effort on boring and tedious tasks and make herself slow down so her work is legible. Once done, she has to pack her backpack, being sure her homework makes it in. Her final step is to turn the homework in.
Each step presents a challenge and opportunity for problems and conflict.


I am still working on it but I don't know how much I will actually get done since we have Irish Dance tonight. We don't get home until 8 pm, then bedtime routine. Before I know it, it's close to 8:30 and I am spent.

So, just pray that God helps me keep my emotions intact tomorrow. My love wasn't going to come but he has changed his mind. Praise the Lord.


"Fight the good fight for the true faith. Hold tightly to the eternal life to which God has called you, which you have confessed so well before many witnesses." 1 Timothy 6:12 NLT

Father God,
Thank you for the life that you have given me. Thank you for Amanda, Daniel and my wonderful husband. Thank you for sending your son to die for us so that we would have a way to heaven. A way to you, Lord. I know that the last five years have been a battle. We have said a lot of things that we wish we didn't. We have done a lot of things that we wish that we didn't. But you have been my strength. Your loving arms have always been around me. I know that Amanda has always been in the palm of your hand. Please continue to encourage us. Give us the right words to say and set a guard at the door of our mouth so that we will not say regretful words. Help us to continue fighting for our daughter.
In your precious son's name, I pray these words. AMEN.

3 comments:

  1. PRAYING...for you ALL my friend! May the Lord have His hand upon those at the meeting and His will be done.

    Timing..not often are things timed when we would like them. But with faith in Him it's as you know in His perfect time!

    I hope your days will be more stress free.
    Love to you!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying that all goes well tomorrow morning. ♥

    The description under why homework is so hard for an ADHD child is so right on the money. I don't think that anyone who hasn't dealt with this could understand how many individual steps a 'simple' assignment has to be broken down into. Having to constantly redirect and refocus them is like herding cats. I'll have to check that book out at some point, you know, in my free time too ;)

    ReplyDelete