Saturday, December 12, 2009

M is for...

Music

"Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation." Psalm 95:1

Amanda and I were looking at songs to download and she said click on Headphones. She liked the tune so we bought it. She listened to it all day. When I heard the lyrics, I realized that I feel the same about music. It lifts me up when I am down.

Anytime you feel alone, put on your headphones
Love, love’s coming through your headphones


But I try to listen to music that is appropriate for my children as well as pleasing the Lord. I love music. I listened to 10,000 Maniacs in my twenties. I listened to Dave Matthews Band in my thirties. But as I listen to one of his songs tonight, I really listened to it. The lyrics were so nasty. I never realized it until right now. It was downright filth. Yes, one of my favorite songs by the group. See how Satan works! Guard your hearts.

I was 33 when I started listening to Christian music, Steven Curtis Chapman and Michael W. Smith.

I could live without a television but don't take my music away. When I am at my computer, I listen to K-Love. When I am in my car, I listen to K-love. When K-love fades, I put on the country station. But today, we listened to two really pretty songs. However, the third song started like this:

I have my toes in the water and my a** in the sand.

Amanda gasped in the backseat. I said, "yep, it's off!" Then we listen to nothing and talk.

There's too many encouraging and uplifting songs to listen to! I wish I could sing. But at least my daughter can. I am not sure about my son yet. He doesn't sing too often. But they both love music.

Song is my coping mechanism. I sing or hum. How can you be in a bad mood when you are doing one of the two. Give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. My children would think nothing of it because they don't know that word yet!! :-P

    I, too, have been astonished when I actually LISTENED to some of the lyrics of secular songs.

    ReplyDelete