Thursday, July 30, 2009

Breakaway

Amanda has started the youth program at our church. It is on Sunday nights from 6 to 8 pm. I am excited because I think this will really strengthen her faith. She has been helping out at the nursery on Sunday mornings and not really attending a Sunday school class. The AWANA program was put on hold for last year, which was disappointing. She did attend Vacation Bible School last week with Daniel at a friend's church.

But now I am going to complain (just a little). The parents have "follow-up". In other words, HOMEWORK. Now yes, it is necessary. And yes, I think it is very important. And yes, I agree with this concept. BUT...it's just one more thing I have to do (sigh). Call me lazy, go ahead. But I am worn out with homework during the school year. Our school district has a summer math packet that has to be turned in on the first day of school. Amanda worked on 10 pages by herself. I then decided to check them and had to erase NINE of them (sigh). Actually, I didn't check them. The packet comes with the answers, cause I haven't a clue when it comes to math!.

Basically, I am worn out with homework during the summer. So now at the age of 41, I am learning fifth grade math again. Most recently, I learned how to add and subtract fractions. Fun.

So back to breakaway...Here is what we will be talking about before Sunday:

Parent Follow Up:
Text: Habakkuk 1-2:4, Hebrews 10:19-39
Context: Hebrews is a book about having great faith in a great Savior who is superior to anyone/anything that ever lived. We always say you just need to have faith, but that’s hard in times of crisis. Kids will experience a crisis of faith sometime, just like when they find out Santa Claus isn’t real and everything they thought true is turned upside down. At times our faith is challenged when we believe God can do anything, but doesn’t do anything when our grandpa is sick, dad is sick, mom lost a job, or even something as trivial as peers making fun of us. That is the crisis of faith. We learn from Habakkuk’s example in his own crisis. The answer is to live by faith that God is doing something, something we wouldn’t even believe if he told us. The other answer is to give up on God, shrink back and be destroyed. So what does it mean to live by faith, how do we do it and how do we help others do it?

1. Have you ever experienced a situation that tempted you to give up on God? What was it? Why was it hard? How do you as a parent deal with those types of situations?
2. What is faith in God? How do you live by it? How can you help each other live by it? (Heb. 10:24-12:3)

Hebrews 10:24 "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds."

Hebrews 12:3 "Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

But looking on the bright side, we have the entire month of August to finish the math packet. School starts on September 1st. We can work on math early in the morning and still have the entire day to do fun stuff. (I took the month off).

Now that I think about it, my complaint wasn't about Breakaway, was it? It was about math and I have the whole month to work that out. So cancel that complaint. No worries here!

No comments:

Post a Comment